Shana Tovah! I’m thrilled to introduce myself as the new Executive Director for Tikkun Ha-Ir of Milwaukee and am delighted to take on this new role. In these first months, you have all taught me so much about how THI helps address the many problems our community faces. It is humbling to discover all that Judy Baruch our Founding Executive Director, and Tikkun Ha-Ir supporters have created together and I look toward our future with optimism.
As a member of the Milwaukee Jewish community in my early years, I am reminded at how warm and supportive of a community we are. It is inspiring to learn how our congregations and at large volunteers have stepped up to care for the stranger in need among us. A commitment to pursuing Tikkun Olam, repairing the world, is a vital way that we all take ownership of our Jewish identities and live out Jewish values. This passion will be the guiding principle as we work together in the years to come. Your continued investment will ensure that we continue to have resources to achieve this vision.
Tikkun Ha-Ir is a unique social justice partnership in the diverse Jewish community as well as an active member of a broad network of service organizations throughout the Milwaukee area. In this new chapter of Tikkun Ha-Ir’s work, we will focus on reaching out to Jewish families to help build a more just Milwaukee through study, action, and civic engagement. I hope to expand our capacity to strengthen and repair our city. In the upcoming year, we plan to:
- Support those in need through our signature programs that serve the broader low-income Milwaukee community (see the attached overview of THI’s 2016 accomplishments and a flyer for the Holiday Gifts for the Homeless drive in November/December!)
- Engage the next generation of Jewish families and young adults in addressing the needs of the people in Milwaukee who live in poverty
- Strengthen our pluralistic Jewish space to learn together and act together around social justice issues affecting our city
We can’t help repair Milwaukee without your financial help. We ask you to donate now. Your donation will:
- Help those families in severe crisis get warm clothes and holiday gifts for their children
- Ensure that families in poverty have healthy produce at food banks and meal program
- Support female prison inmates to learn culinary skills to prepare for re-entry into the workforce
- Provide Passover foods for low-income Jewish families
- Support learning opportunities on important issues that impact our city
As Jews we have a responsibility to step up for those who are in need, to be good neighbors and to give back in a thoughtful way. Tikkun Ha-Ir is deeply grateful to donors like you who support our efforts in repairing our city. Please consider giving generously as we begin this new chapter in our story.
Todah Rabah- Many Thanks,
Sami Stein Avner